The European Court of Justice has concluded all airlines will be included in the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) when it is introduced on 1 January.
Courts have rejected a claim from US and Canadian carriers to be excluded from the tax, arguing that the EU is not bound by agreements such as the UK-US open skies agreement and tax agreements made at the Chicago Convention. TUI Travel welcomed the news as it signals a global scheme.
“We see the inclusion of aviation within the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme as the first step towards a global emissions trading scheme. However, we are concerned by the number of countries that are opposed to the scheme and we are also concerned that there may be retaliatory action by those opposed to the EU ETS,” said Eddie Redfern, head of regulatory affairs at TUI. “We therefore call upon Member States to ensure that EU airlines are not discriminated against by the creation of an un-level playing field”.
More than 8,000 rooms were surrendered by LOCOG in January, prompting a 25 per cent fall in average rates, and a further 12,000 are to go ba...
Udderbelly returns to London's South Bank for a three month festival of stand-up comedy, cabaret, music and dance all staged in an infl...
Hotels & Lodging Levante Beach, Rhodes, a brand new five-star hotel New Mark Warner beach resort for 2012 in Rhodes Thursday, January 05...
Numerous panel discussions highlight new trends at ITB Berlin Convention 2012As the tourism industry’s main think tank the ITB Berlin Conven...
DOM cook Alex Atala is redefining Brazilian culinary art victimisation exotic ingredients sourced within the Amazon timberland. Gavin Mc...
Communities throughout Cotswold district are backing a campaign to bring high-speed broadband to rural Gloucestershire. The Borders Broadba...
Out of 502 beaches and bathing sites in England and Wales only ten failed basic water quality standards, new government figures have reveale...
From the affecting low of our displacement from Uzbekistan, we were now adverse the concrete high-point of our campaign forth the Silk Alley...
I firmly believe that the one-off legal sale of 105,000 tons of ivory to the Far East in 2009 stimulated a demand that was previously not th...
The better restaurants are mainly based in hotels or, ironically, B&B guest houses. Reader tips include: Armin’s Grillstube (‘inexpensiv...
- 30.7 million overseas visitors expected in 2012 sp...
- Accor pursues its transformation with the disposal...
- Airline websites flying high as OTAs lose ground
- British Airways Christmas getaway begun
- Carnival International de Victoria Seychelles 2012...
- Christmas TV inspires wanderlust
- Meeting the environmental challenge vital for cons...
- Online booking continues to expand in China
- Punctuality of UK flights improves
- Successful PATA China Responsible Tourism Forum go...
- Aerosvit launches Vietnam flights, signs Turkish c...
- Brazil set to meet tourism targets
- Car hire prices to remain competitive: Holiday Aut...
- Domestic tourism team up for campaign
- EU courts reject US airlines’ ETS claim
- Excessive card surcharges to be banned
- Fairmont to debut in Jaipur, Baku, Kyiv
- IAG beats Virgin for bmi buy-out
- InsideJapan optimistic for 2012
- Dusit overseas plots international expansion
- Hotel ID system to be launched next month
- hotel.info targets corporate market
- Page & Moy launches agent booking engine
- South Korea the “one to watch in 2012” – Amadeus
- TAM, LAN merger approved
- Tourism bounces back in disaster-struck Japan
- W plans Valentine opening in Paris
- France is the Best Place to Live
- Guide to eating in Bastia
- Live like a Local in the Med
- New EasyJet flights to Corsica
- New Flight Service To Calvi
- New Flight To Figari
- New Heathrow to Figari Flight
- New Properties for 2010
- Porto Latino Festival dates announced
- Prestigious Cycling Event in Corsica
- Relax and embrace the peace and perfect quiet
- New Properties to the 2009 collection
- New property additions for 2010
- Nuits de la Guitare dates announced
- One of Europe’s Best Beaches in Corsica
- Popping corks in Corsica
- Relax and embrace the peace and perfect quiet
- Sample the delights of the island of Corsica
- Spring Holiday Offers
- Strong Summer Sales & Success of Calvi Flight
- Summer easyJet Flights On Sale
- The 'Isle of Beauty' certainly lives up to its nam...
- Two New Residences Added in Calvi
- VAT Cut In Corsican Restaurants
- Viva La Villa
- Why Corsica is a music lover's dream
- Why the ‘Île de Beauté’ is perfect for honeymooner...
- Wild at Heart - A Journey Through Corsica's Rugged...
- XL Leisure Group
- 2012 Holidays now on Sale with Early Booking Offer...
- By: Cheap summer holidays 2009 « 101 Holidays blog...
- By: Tweets that mention Top 10 holiday destination...
- Cheshire Activities
- Cheshire Attractions
- Cheshire Food And Drink
- County Armagh Events
- County Armagh Sports And Leisure
- Inverness Scenery
- Things To Do In Inverness
- A day to remember for youngsters at CDC!
- CDC and Cirencester Town Council agree taxi pick-u...
- CDC Cash Boost for Kempsford play facilities and L...
- Charity Christmas cards now available at Corinium ...
- Christmas treats in store at Corinium Museum and C...
- Cotswold Parishes and Market Towns back high-speed...
- Please put your bins away after collections!
- See the Christmas lights switch on in Cirencester,...
- Waste collections in Cotswolds should not be disru...
- A budget Orient Express
- Corkboard: what's new this week
- Ghost stories from the spookiest place in Britain
- Guardian green travel list 2011
- Insiders' guide to secret ski resorts
- ▼ December (80)